1. Granger BB, Ekman I, Granger CB, Ostergren J, Olofsson B, Michelson E, McMurray JJ, Yusuf S, Pfeffer MA, Swedberg K. Adherence to medication according to sex and age in the CHARM programme. Eur J Heart Fail 2009;11: 1092–1098.
2. van der Wal MH, van Veldhuisen DJ, Veeger NJ, Rutten FH, Jaarsma T. Compliance with non-pharmacological recommendations and outcome in heart failure patients. Eur Heart J 2010;31:1486–1493.
3. Riegel B, Moser DK, Anker SD, Appel LJ, Dunbar SB, Grady KL, Gurvitz MZ, Havranek EP, Lee CS, Lindenfeld J, Peterson PN, Pressler SJ, Schocken DD, Whellan DJ; American Heart Association Council on Cardiovascular Nursing; American Heart Association Council on Cardiovascular Nursing; American Heart Association Council on Clinical Cardiology; American Heart Association Council on Nutrition, Physical Activity, and Metabolism; American Heart Association Interdisciplinary Council on Quality of Care and Outcomes Research. State of the science: promoting self-care in persons with heart failure: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association. Circulation 2009;120: 1141–1163.
4. Cameron J, Worrall-Carter L, Page K, Riegel B, Kai Lo S, Stewart S. Does cognitive impairment predict poor self-care in patients with heart failure? Eur J Heart Fail 2010;12:508–515.
5. Jiang W, Kuchibhatla M, Clary GL, Cuffe MS, Christopher EJ, Alexander JD, Califf RM, Krishnan RR, O’Connor CM. Relationship between depressive symptoms and long-term mortality in patients with heart failure. Am Heart J 2007;154: 102–108.
6. Lesman-Leegte I, van Veldhuisen DJ, Hillege HL, Moser D, Sanderman R, Jaarsma T. Depressive symptoms and outcomes in patients with heart failure: data from the COACH study. Eur J Heart Fail 2009;11:1202–1207.
7. Lesman-Leegte I, Jaarsma T, Coyne JC, Hillege HL, Van Veldhuisen DJ, Sanderman R. Quality of life and depressive symptoms in the elderly: a comparison between patients with heart failure and age- and gender-matched community controls. J Card Fail 2009;15:17–23.
8. Rollman BL, Belnap BH, LeMenager MS, Mazumdar S, Schulberg HC, Reynolds CF 3rd. Bypassing the Blues treatment protocol: stepped collaborative care for treating post-CABG depression. Psychosom Med 2009;71:217–230.
9. Liu B, Mittmann N, Knowles SR, Shear NH. Hyponatremia and the syndrome of inappropriate secretion of antidiuretic hormone associated with the use of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors: a review of spontaneous reports. CMAJ 1996;155:519–527